Monday 17 September 2012

In Which The Person Who Loves Reading Neglects To Read

This post comes in several parts, so lets get cracking!

  1. So, HSBC (A bank, presumably worldwide however I am not a fountain of knowledge when it comes to banks etc so don't hold me to this) was running a competition to receive a £10,00 student bursary if you made a 90 second video and uploaded before 27th of September. Which I, as both a student and somebody who wouldn't say no to the odd ten grand, was well up for. However. It appears that I neglected to read the small print of said offer. So, after collecting all my footage (a surprising amount for the 90 seconds) and beginning work on a script (which I may or may not continue to write as an essay/ode to literature), I re-read the T&C's. Turns out you have to have an HSBC bank account by the 27th, and the actual video deadline was the 13th. One smart chap sitting right here. All I can say is thank god I didn't start editing the video, or I would be very annoyed right now...
  2. Due to work and general life, I have ended up reading a worryingly small amount over the summer for somebody who is about to embark on a literature course.Which is mildly concerning and has left me kind of dreading next week (when my course starts ahhh so excited!) However, I have FINALLY got the start of a reading list coming through (took them long enough) and I'm very much looking forward to start reading again. I always forget how much I honestly love literature until I sit down with a book and begin to read and then look up at the clock and realise that a good hour or so has passed and I'm totally engrossed in this fictitious world that a person whom I know nothing about has created. The first two books I have been assigned are "The Old Curiosity Shop" by good ol' Charlie Dickens and "The Pilgrims Progress" by John Bunyan. I love a bit of Dickens, despite having never (I think) read one of his novels in its entirity. We looked at excerpts from A Christmas Carol and David Copperfield in high school, but I don't think we ever finsihed either of think. Either way, very muchly excited for reading and discussing literature again and yes. Might make a little tally of the books I have read/ am currently reading at the bottom of each blog post. That might be a thing that I will do. I'll see how it goes.
  3. Kind of continues on from 2, but, meh. Who cares. This is my blog. I have been more tghan a little worried about the cost of said reading list after hearing some horrific figures being bounded about (the worst of which was over £200 for half a years worth of books. £200!!) but joy of joys! Both of the two afformentioned books were free to download on the Kindle (Yay for Kindle! I will being writing a post about my stance in regards to Kindle ownership vs the publishing industry in the near(ish) future (maybe, I hope, although I make no promises)). Fingers crossed most of the books I will need (especially for Literature in History) will be free on the Kindle, as I suspect many of them will be old-er so therefore out of copyright. Althoug they aren't the recomended editions, but if that becomes an issue I'll cross that bridge when the time comes.
  4. Can't quite remember what else I was going to write that was reading related, and I'm sure as soon as I click publish I'll remember, but oh well.
TTFN! xx

Currently reading: Flappers and Philosophers (Kindle Edition) by F. Scott Fitzgerald

No comments:

Post a Comment