Tuesday 10 February 2015

#reviewsdaytuesday: Yes Please by Amy Poehler #buttonsbookshelf

One of my favourite ladies on the internet, EssieButton, started up a book club this year, and the first book was Yes Please by Amy Poehler. I'd been wanting to read this ever since it came out, so this was the perfect excuse to pick it up.

I went into this book really excited for it, but not knowing much about Amy apart from her acting in Parks and Rec and Mean Girls. It was really interesting to find out more about Amy's life, particularly the early years of her career and her pregnancy. She is very honest and open about her life, but she doesn't reveal all - she is very good at pulling back from the serious with humour.

Amy is a wonderful writer - as many people will know from her time on SNL - but she's also an incredible person. She handles herself in this book with grace and poise. I particularly enjoyed the parts where her friends and family took over and wrote little bits about her, as it really demonstrated how full of a person she is.

I loved the layout of the book. It isn't chronological and almost has the feel of a scrap book - pictures stuck in, things out of order, written down in spare moments between putting her children to bed and working on Parks and Rec. The huge quotes which almost work as chapter/segment headings are wonderful and very motivational - if they haven't already I want them to be made into postcards!

This was only a short review, but I hope I've conveyed how much I enjoyed this book. Amy is very honest about how hard writing it was, which was really refreshing. I really recommend it - particularly for young women, and particularly for those interested in a career in the arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment