Tuesday 1 September 2015

August Haul and Wrap Up

This past month has been a pretty big one for book buying (and reading). Not only was it the booktubeathon, but I also got a couple of books as graduation gifts. So let's get started!

The Haul



The first books I got this month were gifts from my sister for graduation. 

Wonder by R J Palacio - I've heard some great things about this book, so I'll feed back once I've read it!

A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman - I've never heard of this book, so I'm excited to pick it up and see what's in store!

Armed with my gift card, I made a little trip into Waterstones and picked up a few books that I've been meaning to for the longest time.

How To Be Both by Ali Smith - I loved There But For The when I read it during my second year of uni and I've been desperate to get my hands on How To Be Both ever since it was nominated for the Man Booker Prize in 2014. 

The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan - I heard so many good things about this book (which won the Man Booker 2014) so I had to pick it up.

Bad Feminist, Essays by Roxane Gay - This is another book that I've heard a million and one amazing things about. At the time of writing this, I'm about 8 essays in and so far I'm pretty impressed.

The Age of Earthquakes: a guide to the extreme present by Shumon Basar, Douglas Coupland, and Hans Ulrich Obrist - Bought on recommendation from Leena, couldn't put it down, review to follow.

My dad also made a Book People order this month and needed some help to get it up to the £25 free shipping limit. I was more than happy to lend a hand.

Maya Angelou Collection (including: I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, And Still I Rise, and Gather Together In His Name) - I've always wanted to read some Angelou, so I'm really looking forward to these.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adchie Collection (including: Purple Hibiscus and Half of a Yellow Sun) - I loved Americanah, so when I saw Adichie's back catalogue I had to buy it.

The Bone Season  by Samantha Shannon - When I saw this hardback was only £2.50 I had to pick it up, especially after Reagan  (whose name I am definitely misspelling, sorry!) gushed about it on her channel.

The Wrap-Up


The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton - I liked this book but didn't love it, so there probably won't be an indepth review coming. It's about a young girl in Holland who gets married to a much older man. Upon moving in with him and his family she feels out of place, and it soon becomes apparent that the house is full of secrets. The miniaturist who populates the cabinet given to her as a wedding present appears to have an inside knowledge into these secrets. The suspense in the novel didn't really capture me, but I enjoyed it anyway.

The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer - I adored this book, and there will definitely be a review on the way soon! To wet your palette, it's told from the point of view of a boy whose brother died when he was a young child. The circumstances of the brother's death are revealed as the story unwinds. It is stunning.

I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson - I loved this book too, and have already reviewed it here!

The Age of Earthquakes by Basar, Coupland and Obrist - Mostly pictorial, this book is an examination of modern society. It is expertly put together and I want to review it here soon.

How To Be Both by Ali Smith - Depending on which edition of the book you get depends which way round you read the two interchangeable stories, but I'm really happy with the way round I read it. This is another book I really want to review properly, so I won't say anymore.

Bad Feminist, Essays by Roxane Gay - As I've said, I'm part way through this book and really enjoying it. I've been trying to read one of the ten page (or so) essays each night before bed, but sometimes they get me thinking a little too much!

Wonder by R J Palacio -

Have you read any of these books? What did you think? And which book from my haul should I pick up to read next? Let me know by leaving a comment below or tweeting me @VickiMaitland, and remember to look out for my September TBR on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment