Tuesday 3 November 2015

Let's Write #NaNoWriMo2015

As Father John Misty once sung 'I'm writing a novel, because it's never been done before!'

A photo posted by Vicki Maitland (@vickimaitland) on


It's November, which means it is National Novel Writing Month - the one month of the year where everyone puts down their social life and picks up their fingers to their keyboards and writes.

NaNoWriMo (or NaNo, as I call it) is a wonderful time of the year. I love writing - I studied creative writing for three years at university - but I never seem to find the time to actually sit down and do it. Having hardly written a word since handing in my last assignment the better part of half a year ago, my fingers are itching to get going again! I've got a notebook slowly filling up with half formed ideas, so I thought NaNo the perfect excuse to put pen to paper (or rather, fingers to keys).

Over my time at univeristy I discovered that I wrote fairly naturally to the short story form - trying to create anything of great length (for me, over 10,000 words) ended up feeling forced and wishy-washy. So, rather than writing a novel, this month I'm going to write a series of unconnected short stories.

'But how will you manage to write 1,667 words a day when you can barely put out your weekly post on time?!?' I hear you cry.

Well, dear reader, never fear. I have a whole month worth of blog idea's stacked in my head, so you'll still be getting your weekly fill. Next week will be my Autumn Make-Up look (two ways), the week after will be my turn at The Beloved Books tag (which Katie tagged me in last week), and the week after that will be a Lush haul and mini-review.

Till then, you can follow my writing progress on nanowrimo.org - my username is CurlyWurly and I'd love to be your buddy if you're taking part. I'm not too worried about hitting all the targets, but if I can write each day I'll be very happy with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment