Tuesday 8 March 2016

February Wrap Up

I hope you all enjoyed my little poem last week! As promised, my somewhat more official wrap up:

Books




This was the first book that I read this month. Best described as a series of vignettes on time, this book is the story of Einstein working out his theory of relativity (although rarely is this said explicitly). I'm actually going to review this book in a later post, so watch out for that!


With Valentine's just around the corner, I thought I'd pick up this, wrongly assuming it was a lovely little love story. It's actually a surprisingly heartfelt tale about two teenagers suffering from a new strain of TB. Whilst there was the typical YA love plot, there were also some rather toughing musings on life too. Lane and Sadie have their flaws - and parts of their love story I just didn't buy into - but all in all it was a nice, if sad, read.


Still riding the YA train, I picked up Tape - unaware that it was written by the poet PolarBear! A story about love, family, and finding yourself, this was another nice little read. I was left a little underwhelmed by certain aspects of the story (particularly involving Ameliah and the boy she likes) and the 'plot twist' at the end I wasn't totally convinced by (it would have been nice for me to have at least had the chance to guess at who the mysterious Joe was - as far as I was aware there weren't any hints but it wasn't a dramatic enough of a twist to be shocking). All in all, I did enjoy this book - I really enjoyed the way that time twisted when the tapes became involved.

Film

I watched The Martian (late to the game, I know) this month and LOVED it! I actually laughed out loud and was genuinely drawn in by the story. I'd definitely recommend it.

Life

I was really ill right in the middle of this month, so it's felt like a bit of an odd one for me. Most of the month was spent planning for South Africa (whilst you're reading this I'll be on a safari!) and I also squeezed in a trip to London to say goodbye to one of my very good friends who is off to live in Chile for a year!

That's about it for this week! Let me know if you've read any of the books I mentioned and what you thought of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment