Wednesday 29 June 2016

June Wrap-Up: The Month of Women (called Sara)

June has been an odd month, with much of it filled with politics and all the excitement, disappointment, heartbreak, and annoyance that politics brings. If you follow my social media you'll know how hurt I've been by the referendum and truth be told I still can't fully articulate how I feel. With that in mind, this month's wrap-up will be a classic reading report.

Spill, Simmer, Falter, Wither by Sara Baume


About an old man and his dog, this book broke my heart a little. It speaks heavily about loneliness, isolation, and touches on emotional abuse, too. The book is written in first person as if the reader was the dog in the story and it is done beautifully!

The Shore by Sara Taylor


This is a book that speaks a lot about the female experience and male violence against women - this book definitely has trigger warnings for tale, assault, and all manner of other abusive behaviour. I loved this book apart from the 11th and 13th chapters, which for me spoilt the whole experience somewhat. 

A Book For Her by Bridget Christie


This book is funny with a number of pigment moments but for me it missed the mark - mostly because my expectations of if were mismatched to the reading experience. This book is an incredibly interesting insight into the writing process of a feminist comedy show and highlights a number of important social issues along the way however I expected it to be much more of an exploration of feminism than it was. That said I laughed a hell of a lot and had a very enjoyable reading experience.

Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill


With trigger warnings for all manner of eating disorders and body image issues this is an exceptionally powerful book and I raced through it in a matter of days. Set in a dystopian future, this book reflects an awful mutation of what society could become. 

Animal by Sara Pascoe


As you can see I'm only part way through this but already I am LOVING it. Scientific and hilarious this book is simply wonderful. 

With the exception of the first book, all of the books I've read have been centered around the female experience, which I have been really enjoying. Three of the books have also been written by a Sara, which is a bit of an unexpected theme! 

I've been planning a whole host of new projects which will hopefully come to light over the next month - I can't wait to share them with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment