Tuesday 18 October 2016

#reviewsdaytuesday: Bloom by Estee Lalonde

Estee is one of my favourite YouTubers but, I have to admit, when she said she was writing a book I was somewhat skeptical. I pre-ordered it none-the-less and, as soon as I had it in my hands, I knew I had made the right decision.

This book is a work of art.



Firstly the cover is not only gorgeous but it also has a great texture. The main picture kind of feels spongey and the header is made from a woven textured material. I love it. Inside, each of the chapters of the book have different coloured pages, transitioning through various pastel shades. It is very soothing.

This is a very quick read - I think you could probably read it in one dedicated couple-hour sitting. However, I don't necessarily think the book should be consumed like that. Whilst I do think you should read it in order, I think it works perfectly as a coffee break book and you could read each section in twenty or so minutes whilst enjoying a cup of tea.

The book is packed full with stunning colour photographs from throughout Estee's life. Estee is completely beautiful, but I liked that she didn't only choose obviously staged photos for the book. There are some really raw and natural moments in there - as well as a few goofy shots. One of the biggest things I admire about Estee is how comfortably glamorous and graceful she is, too, and the book is full of pictures of her looking totally effortlessly flawless no matter what clothes she is wearing.

This really is a book with a heart. It has obviously come from a special place within Estee and I think it is clear to see that she poured herself into the text. It's really a series of mini (and I mean mini) essays on life, love, and style. These are all strung together with the theme of personal growth and self discovery - I know already that I'll be revisiting passages to give me a little pick-me-up on a hard day.

I honestly think this book is best described a beacon of light. Although Estee doesn't shy away from the hard and upsetting times in her life, she also makes an effort to show how those don't define her. This was an excellent book and I'd really recommend it!


No comments:

Post a Comment